It’s the beginning of the NBA season again, and my beloved Lakers are giving me a million reasons not to stay beloved. This is going to be a long season. While I am doing a lot of cringing, sighing, and throwing household objects at the wall, at least I can dream of my own highlights. I think if you are a fan of basketball, it is hard not to have your own ESPN highlight scripted in your head.
“You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own,
and you know what you know.
And you are the only one who’ll decide where you’ll go.”~Dr. Seuss
How could you not love Dr. Seuss? I found this picture as I cleaned out my photo library on my phone. When I saw it, I went into “deep thoughts” mode. Here are a few of my thoughts on the paths we choose in life:
- Regardless of your theology, you are never alone. Why even try to do life by yourself? It is way more interesting to walk this journey with others.
- Have a destination, even though many of you know it really is about the journey and not the destination.
- With a destination in mind, walk with purpose in every step. They count whether they were wasted or not and you can’t take them back.
- There is no shame in changing course at any of point of the journey if you realize you are going the wrong way.
- Don’t avoid paths just because they are too challenging or risk pain. No pain. No gain.
- Enjoy it.
I am sure that is just a fraction of the list, but my attention span is limited at the moment. What would you add to the list?